nkunka

Booklog

I like big books.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick, Robert Zelazny Hmmm... not sure really still how I feel about this one. I love the setting and backstory, very sf, but there just seemed something missing to me and I haven't quite put my finger on it yet. I think this is one of those novels that start with a big question, a moral question, and tries to create a story around it, instead of the other way around. This becomes especially apparent in the dialogue between a lot of the characters (Deckard and Resch). I did enjoy reading it, but found myself saying, "Come on," at some points. It seemed as if the action was being driven by the philosophical discussions happening. Call me simplistic, but I don't think I'd reread it. The ideas are so abstract that I found myself stopping and just trying to process whole paragraphs rather than having the ideas come to me intuitively like they usually do. There are some very important ideas about free will and morality that Dick raises, don't get me wrong. For me, it just could have had a nicer package.