nkunka

Booklog

I like big books.
SPOILER ALERT!

The Borderkind (The Veil, Book 2)

The Borderkind - Christopher Golden This series gets better as it goes along. The writing, I think, still leaves a lot to be desired. It's filled with cliches and is overly repetitive, continually summarizing and resummarizing the dire situation the characters find themselves in, describing and redescribing how Frost looks, and what is it with the "finger of dread" that pops up in every chapter. I've never felt a finger of dread in my life. Scared as hell, yeah, but no finger (thankfully).

That gripe out of the way, this story is worth it to watch the relationships develop between the characters, especially the pairs: Kitsune and Oliver on the one hand, and Julianna and Ted Halliwell on the other. The juxtaposition is a little overhanded and not very subtle, but still well done, and, while I was a critic of Oliver and Julianna's relationship and questioned the true extent of his feelings for her and the contrived nature by which he rediscovers them, I was actually really happy when they were reunited, while at the same time absolutely devastated for Kit, which is a wonderful sort of paradox to feel from a fantasy book.

The Atlantean conspiracy lacks real motivation I think, and Ty'Lis is not too impressive a bad guy. I though Sandman far more menacing and dark, and his brotherly battle with the Dustman is what fantasy epics are all about. I have a question for Golden though: do your main characters ever stand fight, or do they always just book it when trouble starts to brew? Just kidding. Actually, the battle scenarios and ensuing escapes kind of lends a feeling of enormity to the figures who are fighting. Like Frost and Kit are powerful and they do amazing things, but they're nowhere near the level of these other myths/legends.

My only request: More Nagas! (and Jaguar people, but to a lesser extent)