nkunka

Booklog

I like big books.

The Talisman

The Talisman - Stephen King, Peter Straub I really don't know what to say about this. This novel was a confused, jumbled mess and I attribute it to the use of two authors. I found the story to be too long, repetitive and at times confusing. The universe described by King and Straub has no set of consistent rules and it seems like magic phenomena behave in ways that serve as ill-thought out deus-ex-machina. Many of the descriptions are redundant; every time Jake flips into the Territories King reverts to the same tired cliches, almost to the point where you could skip like the first 3 or 4 paragraphs after every flip. The description of the Talisman itself was similarly redundant and just aggravated me. By the end of the story I had to desperately hold myself off from just skipping to the last page and reading the last paragraph and being done with it.

A disappointment to say the least. I think the only reason I continued was because the book is part of the Dark Tower mythos. Instead of fitting neatly into that universe, I think the Talisman is an alternate story. There are elements of it that just seem to be a beta version of what eventually will be much more successfully stitched together as the Dark Tower itself. There are certainly imaginative parts and ideas that I enjoyed, thus the two stars instead of one.

What to do about Black House? I think I need to read some other stuff first before I'm ready to give it a chance.