nkunka

Booklog

I like big books.

DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 2

DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 2 - Darwyn Cooke What can I say that I haven't already? Comic books just don't get much better than this. From a completely biased point of view, I wish Superman played a bigger role in all of this, but I completely agree with Cooke's focus on Hal Jordan. Jordan is in many ways a Silver Age transitionary figure. A daredevil pilot turned superhero practically begs to be identified with the 50s and 60s and the themes of space exploration, the science fiction of the period, and the hope and optimism mixed in with the lingering sense of domestic maladjustment fit perfectly into this story.

More philosophical and more epic than the first volume by far. Cooke seems to be able to walk that thin line between action-fest with things blowing up dramatically and deep inner monologues that push the story along and make you think. It's a difficult thing to do and he deserves every shred of credit for this accomplishment. His theme-building is also profoundly layered in the artwork, the dialogue, the structure of the story and the epigrams selected; all of it seems to cry out CHANGE in a way that is spiritual and uplifting and hopeful. (Throwing in Kennedy's New Frontier speech was a really, really nice touch. The tone was perfect and the speech is one of the best in American political history.)

A stirring conclusion that returns readers of my generation to the point where we all began and the faces we were familiar with growing up. I've seldom been this satisfied after reading a comic book. Feels like the caliber of Watchmen and the heart and hope of a Superman classic. Well done.