nkunka

Booklog

I like big books.

Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi, Vol. 2

Star Wars Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi, Volume 2 - Kevin J. Anderson, Tom Veitch Honestly, the best part about this is the last chapter, Redemption, but I guess you need all the other chapters for it to make any sense. That being said, it is kind of worth it. Anderson and crew introduce a bunch of cool new characters that are memorable in the vast pantheon of Jedi in the EU. This collection follows the exploits of two really interesting characters: Ulic Qel Droma and Nomi Sunrider interweaving stories of their humble origins and building up to the moments where their lives cross paths agains the backdrop of a resurgent Sith. Anderson and crew do an excellent job creating compelling characters, but the plot is relatively simple and straightforward and the foreshadowing is pretty blatant and obvious. "I sense you will be a great Jedi," says Master Thon. And then, by the end, Master Thon again, "See, I told you you would be a great Jedi." I kind of expected twists in the prophecies and that they wouldn't be quite so literal, and in that I was disappointed, with the exception of Qel Droma. I liked that the focus of this series was on internal struggles and how often times a desire to do good at all costs ends up leading people astray more than purposeless lust for power or pointless ambition, which seems to be the motivation of most of the rogues in the EU. It's fun to see the familiar backdrops of Yavin IV and Ossus expanded upon - their mythologies and histories fleshed out. It's kind of like being able to go back in time after seeing a crumbling ruin to see it when it was brand new and glorious, which was of course the purpose of this series. In that, it succeeds and it creates iconic figures worthy of repeat mention in other subsequent volumes of lore.

The Old Republic has me on a serious EU binge. On to the next one...