nkunka

Booklog

I like big books.

The Hedge Knight (Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1)

The Hedge Knight (Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1) - George R.R. Martin A wonderful short story that has some pretty damn good character development while deepening the lore of Westros and the lineage of all the main families from the beloved Song of Ice and Fire series. The Hedge Knight is a relatively light-hearted tale of traditional knighthood in the Arthurian vein. Ser Duncan ("The Tall" ;) ) becomes a knight with no lord upon the death of the old knight that he squired for and in order to attract a lord (and a livelihood) is making his way to the nearest tournament held on the Ashford estate. There he becomes embroiled in an inner dispute of House Targaryen while defending the honor of a young maiden who runs afoul of a mad prince who has taken offense to her puppet performance.

If you're a fan of the series, you'll love this little addition, but I recommend waiting until after you've finished at least book four to get all of the references. This story is set 100 years prior to the Game of Thrones and as such there are no characters from the main franchise directly seen...but there is one who is referenced and you won't know who until you've read through a couple of the main books. Most surprising: Martin can actually tell a pretty riveting tale in less than 90000000 pages. He just chooses the path of the glacier to mess with all of us.